Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hush Little Baby...

Night falls and a darkness sets in (yes I know darkness is part of the package but I am going for a more poetic sort of darkness here!). The human mind is a strange contraption and one possibly could not find a stranger, more faulty piece than mine. I find that what goes on in a mind particularly when one drifts away into the arms of Morpheus can be of utmost fascination. Some are lucky enough to play host to the most wondrous of dream sequences - where for a few glorious hours one gets to be all that they wished to be. Others live out their fantasies - waking up flushed in the morning but satisfied with the night gone by. I envy them too. Me? I often live in the darkness that creeps in, clawing at my senses, gnawing at my very core.

On a morning after one such night of darkness, I took to my notepad (as always) and penned down my recount of the night that had passed...


The air is heavy with the heady perfume
Of fuchsias, bluebells & daisies aplenty.
Colours splashed on a canvas of peace.
An idyllic scene to a girl of twenty.

The gentle hum of the breeze blowing past.
The sweet smell of honey tickles my nose.
I feel a surreal calm inside
As I soak up the warmth from my head to my toes.

Skipping with joy, I break into song.
I have everything I could possibly need.
And now I see my family and friends
Running towards me, gathering speed.

Waving at the crowd, I smile to myself.
I’m content with the beauty that’s all around.
A sound from behind – I turn to look.
And then – there’s blood spattered on the ground.

In a flash I’m alone – no longer outside.
I have no idea of where I have come.
I only know that I’ve been here before.
I’m scared, my heart- it pounds like a drum.

I become aware of a pain in my chest.
There’s blood flowing freely all over me.
A guttural voice- I’m not alone.
He wants to hurt me, to watch me bleed.

Helpless & dying, I’m lying on the floor.
Begging for mercy, but, in vain it seems.
For twenty five minutes I’m brutalized
And butchered – as happens in all my dreams.

My eyes fly open; it’s time to wake up.
I crawl out of bed, a broken girl.
I’m assaulted this way every night of my life.
Believe it – and welcome to my world.

2 comments: